Household hazardous waste and hazardous waste from small businesses may be delivered to the permanent drop-off facility at the SCISWA Landfill or the Poweshiek Transfer Station during normal operating hours.
Household hazardous waste is accepted free of charge. The service is most effective if customers call in advance with questions and to make an appointment. Without this call, you may need to wait for a trained staff person to be located and dispatched.
Hazardous waste from conditionally exempt small quantity generators (i.e., small businesses with less than 220 pounds per month) can also use the permanent drop-off facilities with some restrictions. Go to the small business services page for more information.
Many other non-hazardous items are also accepted for recycling at the landfill and Poweshiek Transfer Station:
Materials accepted at permanent drop-off sites
- Needles in puncture-proof containers
- Oil-based paint or paint with lead
- Paint removers and thinners
- Stains and varnishes
- Contact cement and glue
- Wood preservatives
- Fertilizers and pesticides
- Rat poison
- Rechargeable batteries (e.g., NiCad, NiMH, lithium, hearing aid)
- Drain cleaners
- Metal polishes
- Oven cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Lighter fluid
- Roofing tar
- Floor care products
- Fluorescent light bulbs (unbroken tubes or corkscrew-shaped bulbs)
- Farm chemicals (by pre-arrangement only; fees may apply)
- Chemicals from small businesses (by pre-arrangement only; see small business services)
Materials NOT accepted
- Latex paint
- Ammunition-call your sheriff’s office for disposal
- Radioactive materials
- Empty containers
- Alkaline batteries (A, AA, AAA, C, D, 9V)
Call 641-828-8545 for information or to set up an appointment.