If you can’t use up your paint or give it to someone who can, then dispose of it properly.
To dispose of latex paint:
- Dry it out and throw it in your regular trash.
- For small quantities, take off the lid (away from children and pets) and let it dry.
- For larger quantities, mix kitty litter or saw dust in it and let dry, or pour layers on newspapers in a cardboard box, allowing each layer to dry.
- Be sure to take the lid off when you discard latex paint in the trash so waste handlers know it’s dry.
To dispose of oil-based paint:
- Oil-based paint or paint containing lead can be brought to a mobile collection event, to the permanent drop-off at the landfill, or to the Regional Collection Center (RCC) in Bondurant.